LIVE Webinar: June 12, 7-8:30PM (PST)
Course Title: The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) and CBD for Inflammatory and Neurological Disorders
Credits: FREE 1.5 (Category 1) credits issued to CSOMA Professional members upon successful completion of the course
California is the largest state in which medical cannabis and CBD (cannabidiols) derived from hemp is legal, and openly available to the patients and public. CBD products are marketed in stores and online, and available through acupuncture supply companies. Many patients see licensed acupuncturists for pain and and inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and colitis, general medical issues like insomnia and anxiety, as well as neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis.
Given the widespread availability of CBD products and limited scientific and medical education available, the topic of clinical CBD is particularly timely for practitioners of acupuncture and TCM.
1) To provide a brief review of what is the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) and how it works.
2) To explain the differences between medical cannabis and hemp-derived products.
3) To review the anatomical locations of CB1 and CB2 receptors and describe their physiological and immunological function.
4) To provide the basic concepts of “resting” and “Active” CB1 and CB2 cell receptors due to state of health condition of the patient.
5) To provide a summary of the mechanisms of action from in vivo and in vitro studies with CBD for support with inflammatory and neurological conditions.
6) To provide clinical guidelines on appropriate use of CBD with a variety of health conditions seen by acupuncturists.
7) To review important of potency, purity and safety issues with regards to sources of CBD.
About the Presenter: Dr. Sunil Pai, MD
In addition to being an MD in Family Medicine (2001) and Fellowship Trained in Integrative Medicine (2002), Dr. Pai holds a certification in Medical Acupuncture (Helms/UCLA) and Scalp Acupuncture (Stanford) in 2006 and has been practicing acupuncture since that time. He is Vice President of the Neuro-Acupuncture Institute, a non-profit 501c3 educational organization teaching acupuncturists, DOMs and MDs in specialized techniques for neurological disorders.
Disclaimer. Presenter is a medical consultant for Phivida and receives a stipend for lectures. However, there will be no mention of the brand name or products in this lecture. Only scientific and clinical education will be provided.